Since the name "Make Muffins" was already taken *sniffle* I hereby christen this blog: Bake a Muffin! (round of applause from appreciative audience)
In other news: yesterday was the first time I made OhSheGlows carrot chia spelt muffins! However, I had neither chia nor spelt in my kitchen, so I substituted with what I had :)
The original recipe is here: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/01/30/carrot-chia-spelt-muffins/
The modifications are as follows:
- 1 and 3/4 cups unbleached AP flour + 3/4 cups WW flour
- 2.5 T sugar
- 1.5 t cinnamon, with a sprinkle of nutmeg (I LOVE extra cinnamon in my baked goodies!)
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 4 T dried cranberries
- 2 T ground flax seeds
- 1/2 c + 2 T milk
- 1 cup shredded carrot and apple (I used 2-3 food processed carrots + 1/2 or a lovely large Granny Smith)
- 1.5 t vanilla
- 2 T molasses
- 1 medium VERY ripe mashed banana
- 1/4 cup olive oil (Booo: I ran out of extra virgin, so just used regular)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and add wet to dry, mixing until combined.
- Add a leeeetle bit of water, just to moisten the batter and incorporate all of the flour.
- Spoon into greased muffin tin (or paper liners, like I did).
- Bake for 25 – 27 min.
These smelled LOVELY coming out of the oven! All cinnammoney, with just a little kick from the nutmeg. I think I may need to add a little bit more sweetener next time, though you could always do what My Hero did, and eat one for breakfast with jam :) Or heat one up and spread with a little bit of salted butter = YUM! :D