- 3 medium-sized potatoes, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 2 long onions, peeled and grated
- 5-6 baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of lentils, washed and picked over
- 1/2 cup of buckwheat groats, washed and picked over
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 3 cups of water
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 good pinch of Vegeta
- 1 bay leaf
- a sprinkling of ground pepper
- a dash of nutmeg
- Sauté the mushrooms, onion, and carrots in the bottom of your soup pot with 1 tsp of olive oil until the onions and carrots are slightly softened.
- Add the potatoes, the chicken broth and water, lentils and groats.
- Season with salt, Vegeta, pepper, nutmeg and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 min, or until the potatoes are easily broken apart with a wooden spoon and the lentils and groats are soft to the bite.
- Adjust seasonings and serve with a dollop of sour cream and toast, rubbed with garlic.
Potato chunks, chillin' in their water bath :)
All chopped up
Give them a good stir...
Add the stock (and water!)
And, finally, your potatoes,
Fairytale Forest Soup :)
Try before serving! You may need to adjust the seasonings.