Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Grandmother Muffins

   Grandparents are awesome: they shower you with stories, hugs, and mounds of candy, among other things. Mine are no exception, and today we are celebrating their birthday! In honor of this occasion, I want to share with you the world famous Grandmother Muffins :)
   This recipe is based on a couple different versions, but mostly the "Just Plain Muffins" recipe from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. Even if you aren't "doing" Weight Watchers, this is still an interesting cookbook because it is full of a variety of relatively healthy, and definitely interesting, recipes. I like the "New American Cooking" section the best :)

  Anywhoo, here is the recipe (with my modifications):


Ingredients:

    Dry:
  • 1 and 1/4 cups unbleached AP flour + 1/2 cup WW flour, sifted
  • 4 t of honey
  • 2 t of baking powder
  • 1/2 t of salt
  • 1 T of cinnamon (b/c I LOVE cinnamon!)
   Wet:
  • 1 T of flax seeds, ground and mixed with
  • 2 T of water (preferably warm/RT)
  • 1 cup of milk (I used vanilla dairy-free, but I'm sure regular milk will work fine)
  • 4 t of melted coconut oil
   Garnish:
  • jam (I used apricot!)
  • shredded coconut (your call as to sweetened or not)
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Grease a muffin tin.
  3. Mix all dry ingredients together, and all wet ingredients together.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until all the flour is incorporated.
  5. Add more liquid to the batter if it's too dry (milk OR water work fine!).
  6. Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way to the top.
  7. Garnish with shredded coconut, jam, or both! If you're using jam, make sure you press it down into the batter a little.
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
       I'm taking these to a party tonight, so I can't taste-test them yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I do. In the meanwhile, try them! :)


    When my SD card decides to cooperate, photos will follow!
    My ingredients:
     Flours sifted together:
     The other "dry stuff":
    And with all of the wets (I know: it looks a little gross!):

     Adding dry to dry:
    Adding wet to dry:


    All together now!


     All dressed up, with somewhere to go :)




    Nutrition Facts*:
      12 Servings

    Amount Per Serving
      Calories 97.8
      Total Fat 2.2 g
          Saturated Fat 1.4 g
          Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g
          Monounsaturated Fat 0.2 g
      Cholesterol 0.0 mg
      Sodium 283.5 mg
      Potassium 36.0 mg
      Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
          Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
          Sugars 2.8 g
      Protein 2.6 g


    No comments:

    Post a Comment